1) I got to spend time with my parents and ALL THREE of my sisters and their families this summer, which is a HUGE blessing considering how we all live in different locations spreading over this country. I first saw Mags, Nate, and Rohnan over the 4th of July weekend in New Mexico. Then I got to spend some time with Rachel and crew in Rexburg (and go to the fancy new pool in town...okay, the only pool in town!). Finally, I headed down to Vegas and braved 100 degree weather to help Laurel and Jeremy pack up some stuff and spend time with their adorable kids. Overall, I feel very blessed to have been able to make these trips!
2) I conquered my biggest fear in the world and went rock climbing...outside, on real rocks. I had done the YMCA rock walls before but had always been terrified to do the real thing (that's how my dad died when I was younger). But after a year of learning more about him and the things that he loved, I decided to face my fear and try it out...after all, it was one of the things he loved the most. But I not only learned about what he loved, but about who he loved...ME. The experience gave me the confidence that if I could do that, I can do anything!
That's me by the way!!
3) I have now sent three missionaries off into the great white field ready to harvest. We started the tradition of getting as many of us together as possible when Hillary left for Portugal and we all gathered at her Aunt Melissa's house the night before she went into the MTC.
Then before Mary headed into the MTC on her birthday to learn the crazy, funky Czech language, a few of us got to go to the Tulip Festival at Thanksgiving Point. Though the week we were there it hadn't quite warmed up enough for the tulips...but there were some of them! And lots of daffodils! It was absolutely beautiful, and fun to be with the girls!
Then Beka got her call to Albania (of all places!!) and the four of us from the Elms who remained state-side went to Lagoon for a day of spinning, splashing, screaming, and smiling. I also got to go to Beka's farewell in Franklin County, Idaho and it was great to spend time with her before she left.
So now I've got three lovely ladies to write in the field, and I have to say I'm very proud, I got a letter out to each of them this week. (Very rare occurance so I need to live it up while I can!)

4) I attended my first midnight showing, appropriately for the last Harry Potter movie. I dressed as Rita Skeeter and have to say I played the part pretty well. Sarah (who is now my roomie...YAY!) went as Gran Longbottom and had the best hat I've ever seen. Also hung out with Peeves and Professor Trelawny...we had quite the variety of personalities! We went with a huge group of about 25 people and it was a blast. And the movie...absolutely epic! The end of an era. And what a great ride it has been!
5) Finally, to check off one of the adventures on my friend Bethany's bucket list, we went down to Salt Lake City to see Josh Groban in concert. It was her first concert and it was so great. He has the greatest eyes...but I still submit that he has some hobbit-like characteristics. I think they should consider him for The Hobbit movie coming out. Just sayin...
So there you have it folks, that was my summer in a nutshell. Now I'm in an apartment with two awesome girls and we're having lots of fun while trying to do our best in this new semester. Funniest apartment incident so far: the search for the lost turtle, Walter. He climbed out of his tupperware house (an aquarium isn't in the budget right now), survived the long drop from the table (those shells come in handy), and crawled behind the oven. Luckily, we pulled it out and pulled him out, discovering a nice, thick layer of grime and dirt that the large appliance had been hiding (possibly for years!). We scrubbed and scrubbed and bonded over scraping gunk off the floor at 11 o'clock at night. It was quite the adventure! And many more are sure to come!
I'll update you in a few months (I can't promise any more than that...blogging seems to be a tri-annual event for me :).
Until then I remain,
Always Aubs








Sounds like a really fun summer! I hope I see you soon and that the semester goes well for you :)
ReplyDeleteOH Aubs!
ReplyDeletesounds like you have been living the life of an actress...
I mean...my sister. I can't believe you did all of that (I know some of it but ALL of that)
"you are totally awesome dude" (Finding Nemo)
We cannot wait to see you...Rohnan loved talking to you & giving you kisses.
thanks for the updates on your life. until you post next...lets keep talking in real life
:0~